Monday, August 11, 2008

Harry Houdini would be proud

Occasionally (like, um, every time Monkey has a birthday) my wonderful brother and even more wonderful sister in law send us interesting presents.

And yes, I give them shit about this in person, so I can write about it here.

Last year? Last year was a xylophone. My ears still ring, but MAN does Monkey love that thing. My neighbors hate it. When N & G sent that present last year I called them up to yell at them for sending such a noisy (fun!) toy. For revenge I threatened to send them drums when their little one, HP, turned one. That made my brother laugh....since she already had a set of bongo drums! Can you tell who lives in a house in the wide open spaces of Colorado, and who has neighbors on all sides??

This year, they sent a variety of cool stuff, but I'd like to highlight two things.

The first is the tambourine. This isn't some crummy kids tambourine, that Monkey will destroy in a few short months. Oh no! Uncle N went to a professional store and bought a REAL tambourine. Damn it, Monkey will be able to use this thing until she turns 90. (My neighbors still hate me.)

The second thing I'd like to highlight is a neat puzzle board by the Melissa & Doug toy brand. This thing has a variety of doors, fixed with a variety of latches and locks, and you need to unfasten the latch/lock to see what animal is hiding behind the door. Monkey loves it. We have named it the Harry Houdini guide to defeating baby proofing and escaping the apartment. Need I say more?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's only because we are so cool that she gets such outrageously fun toys. :-) xoxo.