Monday, September 8, 2008

Bittersweet

Last week (the "staycation") went by in a flash. Poof - gone.

And today, I dropped Monkey off at her first day of school (year #2!). She ran into the room without a second glance. I didn't even warrant a "bye" until I prompted her (loudly). I was so proud of her, watching her work the room as she greeted her friends.

As I rode the bus to work, I realized that this past week was the last time I would ever get to do something like that with my baby. That week, those precious few days, they were our last - ever - mommy & monkey time. Yes, we'll have weekends and things like Thanksgiving break, but still - that was the last uninterrupted week where it was just the two of us. Ever.

Because the next time we spend a week like that, I'll be caring for her little sister. And I know that I will love this second daughter with a fierceness that is unrivaled by anything except for my love of Monkey. My firstborn. My baby that has grown up so fast. It isn't that I am regretful or mournful that I'm pregnant with number two - the exact opposite. Her gentle kicks and nudges (and occasional wallops to the bladder) make me smile. I can't wait to meet her.

But today, today I realized that soon everything will change. Somehow I wish that Monkey would remember this time, this special mommy&me time. But I know that when she looks back at her childhood, at her earliest memories, they will likely revolve around her little sister. And that's a good thing.

1 comment:

Renee said...

I hope you took a lot of photos so you can show her your special week together.