Monday, February 11, 2008

Murphy's Law

I think it is Murphy's Law in our household that everytime daddy has to leave for a business trip, Monkey gets sick.

This time, dad's in frigid St. Louis, Misery (I mean Missouri, whoops!) for an executive-MBA training seminar his company put together. They're cracking open his skull and pouring in mba-speak. He grouses about it, but always confesses that he's learning. As if a Ph.D. and a CFA weren't enough....did I ever mention that I am proud of my smart husband?

Saturday morning the three of us went to the grocery store, which was awesome since I could get help carrying stuff in. It's hard to grocery shop if you need more than one smaller bag of stuff, since Monkey is still so little. We have to go up four steps to get into our apartment building, so the equation looks something like this:

stairs + stroller + monkey + groceries + my purse + anything else I'm carrying = possible disaster

No sooner had we arrived at Fairway (my favorite grocery store on earth - check out their blog at http://www.fairwaymarket.com/index.cfm?Area=blog for a great foodie read) than Monkey puked. On her shirt, jacket, pants, shoes, as well as dad's jeans and shoes. We cleaned her up as best we could, and by the time we were done cleaning up her dad, she was busy laughing and chortling again. Kids are so resiliant, it's amazing! We shopped quickly, and made it home without any further incident.

Thinking we'd somehow dodged a bullet, our lives continued apace. Dad flew to St. Louis, the babysitter arrived and I went out to dinner with some family & friends. Got home, went to bed early (10pm), and was relieved that Monkey hadn't puked any more.

famous.last.words.

I woke up that evening to the sound of Monkey crying, and discovered that she had puked in her sleep. So I changed her, changed the sheets, calmed her down and put her back to sleep. Then sat outside her room, listening to her breath, fearful she'd pull a Janice Joplin. Yes, irrational. Yes, every other parent would cop to the same thing, if pressed.

Finally went to sleep. Woke to more crying and puke. Random thoughts included "huh, toddler puke stinks" and "boy I hope the washing machines aren't busy tomorrow" as I cleaned puke out of Monkey's hair, got her into new jammies and changed the cribsheet, again.

Woke to more crying at 5am - but this was ok, Monkey was asking for a bottle! Huzzah! She's feeling better!! She wouldn't go back to sleep, however, so I held her in the glider as she drifted off to sleep....and then puked all over me. More than once.

Stomach flu: 5 pukes. Mama: 3 hours sleep. The flu takes round one!

We spent Sunday lolling around the apartment, playing with flashcards and occasionally eating a bit. When Monkey went down for a nap I did too, until the phone rang and woke me up. So I cleaned every conceivable surface I could think of, hoping to eradicate the stomach virus from our apartment. Tried to do laundry about 5 times, but one washing-machine is broken and I could never get in.....sigh.

Long story short, Monkey is fine! I'm exhausted, but she's at school today and my phone hasn't rung (yet). Holy crap, my blackberry just vibrated as I typed in "yet" and I thought it was my phone and jumped about 2 feet into the air. Ok, biting my tongue and knocking on wood now......

No comments: