Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

The second child always gets treated differently. It is just the way of the world. Now, this isn't to say that they are loved any less....they just aren't as coddled.

And their baby albums are a lot lighter! (this is known as "2nd child syndrome" and afflicts grandparents across the world as they impatiently await baby photos of grandchild number two....only to realize they have no photos of their OWN second child! whoops)

When Monkey was born we treated her like she was made of spun glass. Fragile beyond comprehension.

When Jellybean was born we treated her like the precious, but tough, infant she is.

When I trimmed Monkey's teensy weensy fingernails and cut her finger, that single drop of blood was a dire emergency - sure to scar her for life and demanding round the clock vigilance and medical attention.

When I accidentally cut Jellybean's finger I smiled and wiped off the blood.

When Monkey was accidentally knocked in the face by a toy, I broke into a sweat and started to check pupil size...you know, to make sure she hadn't sustained an injury to her brain.

When Jellybean was accidentally knocked in the face by a garbage can tipped over onto her by her big sister.....well, we dusted both kids off and went on our way.

No comments: